Monday 31 March 2014

Lessons learned

As the letter yesterday said, I'm leaving Stay Frosty, and joining the Republic.

My reasoning is simple. I'm simply not a pirate. I have tried, repeatedly, to target civilians. Once I even got a mining barge into structure. But, I let them go. No ransom. I just can't put in that final blow.

So, I'll sell myself as a mercenary. The Tribal Liberation Force (TLF) pays well, and freeing slaves sits much better with me than subjugating them. I've been officially branded a traitor in the eyes of Amarr and Khanid alike, to be shot on sight in their space. A traitor to God, the Emperor, the King, Empire and Kingdom.

I doubt I live up to the vilification the popular press has on me.

But what I do is hardly as interesting as what has been learned and what will be learned.

First: What did I learn as a 'pirate'?

In a word: attack.

One of the key strategic actions of the militias is short range patrol of vulnerable outposts. Or, orbiting plexes. This nets you loyalty points to spend at the militia quartermasters, as well as defensive fights. Other ships can and will attack you as you patrol.

Pirates, on the other hand, do not have this luxury. Orbiting a plex will get you a fight, but most likely just waste your time. Pirates need to attack.

I learnt how to assault a complex. To hunt and track down a ship using nothing but the directional scanner and knowledge of star systems. If you're looking to learn similar tactics, I highly recommend a stint in a pirate corporation.

As a small point, the majority of my kills as a pirate were brawling ships on the complex entry point. If you are capturing plex, I also recommend a kiting vessel. If you are assaulting, I recommend a tougher brawling vessel. There are, of course, exceptions, but if you are relying more on planning and strategy than flight skill (as my poor pilot-skilled self must do), this will make your life a lot easier.

Moving forward, I want to properly up-ship into cruiser capsuleer combat. The TLF will provide me with access to some higher grade cruisers, and ease the funding for this. Once I've got my cruiser eye in (and stop exploding with regularity) I may make go back to the freedom of piracy.

For now, I'm going to break my own advice, and use a brawling Rifter to go and capture some plexes. See you in space!


1 comment:

  1. Congrats! I'm a Caldari citizen that left the state and fights for the Gallente now. *Kindred Spirit*

    ReplyDelete